Sunday, January 8, 2012

365 Days of Gratefulness (Day 8)



Today (and every single day), I'm SO grateful for our Police K9, Kopper. With a mouth full of teeth and a heart full of love, he would lay down his own life to protect my husband and any one of you. He's a loyal and a trusted companion like no other. An unfortunate event brought Kopper into our lives back in 2002. There was a group of upcoming Police K9's being shipped from Slovakia to the States in the cargo unit of an airplane. There was also a body that was packed in dry ice that was being shipped in the same compartment of the plane. Apparently, dry ice sucks the oxygen out of the air and when the airport personnel went to take the dogs off the plane, all the K9's were dead and they thought Kopper was as well. He was unconscious at the time, however, fortunately he survived that terrible tragedy (the SOLE K9 survivor) and a twist of fate brought him into our lives. The Department that initially had purchased him decided to back out because they didn't know if he'd have brain damage or if he'd now be *fit for duty*. He was then donated to a man in a wheelchair, however, he was "too much" dog with far too much energy for this man, so he brought him to the K9 training facility where my husband trains. I love it when you can see Divine intervention working right in front of your eyes............my hubby just so happened to be at K9 training with our 1st K9 when Kopper had been dropped off. After hearing the story, Rick said "this dog survived for a reason" and he then went to evaluate him. As it turns out, he was MORE than anything he could have ever dreamed to be partnered with and fortunately the man who brought him to K9 graciously donated him to Rick and the Trenton Police Department. Through the years that Rick and Kopper have worked together, he has proved time and time again, that he did indeed "survive for a reason". He was born to be a Police K9 and he has lived up to it's every name. He's turning 11 next month, yet every time my hubby starts to get dressed for work, you'd think he was a puppy as he eagerly awaits leaving for yet another shift :)


Guardians Of The Night
Author - Unknown

"Trust in me my friend for I am
your comrade. I will protect you
with my last breath When all
others have left you And the
loneliness of the night closes
in, I will be at your side.

Together we will conquer all
obstacles, And search out
those who might wish harm to
others. All I ask of you is
compassion, The caring touch
of your hands. It is for you that I
will unselfishly give my life And
spend my nights unrested.
Although our days together
May be marked by the passing
of the seasons Know that each
day at your side is my reward.

My days are measured by The
coming and going of your
footsteps. I anticipate them at
every opening of the door. You
are the voice of caring when I
am ill. The voice of authority
when I've done wrong.

Do not chastise me unduly For
I am your right arm, The sword
at your side. I attempt to do
only what you bid of me. I seek
only to please you and remain
in your favor.

Together you and I shall
experience A bond only others
like us will understand When
outsiders see us together Their
envy will be measured by their
disdain.

I will quietly listen to you And
pass no judgment, Nor will your
spoken words be repeated I will
remain ever silent, Ever vigilant,
ever loyal. And when our time
together is done And you move
on in the world Remember me
with kind thoughts and tales,
For a time we were unbeatable,
Nothing passed among us
undetected.

If we should meet again on
another street I will gladly take
up your fight, I am a Police
Working Dog and together We
are guardians of the night."

No comments:

Post a Comment